Tuesday, April 28, 2009

With Seventeen Hairs on My Head Do I Really Need a Beautician?

.
The average human head has one hundred thousand hairs.
.
I now have seventeen.
.
And I need a haircut.
.
It's not cute when your hair sticks straight out from your head.
.
The Chinese Crested Hairless dog in the above picture looks cuter than I do. Plus, she has a lot more hair than I do. Insert big sigh here.
.
It took me a long time to find that photo, and I found out that there are Chinese Crested dogs with lots of hair, and I fell in love with Toby who is for sale in Oklahoma. Isn't he the cutest little fella...unfortunately his sale is pending.
.
I purchased a wig more than a year ago, but it doesn't look good on me. I think I bought the wrong size, as it rides up in the back. At least I think so. It looks like a blonde Paula Deen. Not to far off my own color (white is a color!). Then there is the bright emerald green one I bought for St. Paddy's Day.
.

I was thinking that doing a henna job on my head might be attractive. It could look artsy, or something from the thirties. I found the Chemo Chicks on the internet, and they have a Henna Tattoo Kit available for sale.
.
Lil Kim had some face decorations when she danced this week that looked like curls on her face from a distance. I have no clue if they have anything for the total head.
.
I did find a place where I could buy Hairy Moles, perhaps enough on the head would fill in with the seventeen hairs. I wonder if they have white?
.
I was thinking that if I lost all my hair I could get the grandkids to sign my head. There are thirteen of them, so that would cover a lot of head. I wonder how long a magic marker would last on my head?
.
I have a coupon to get a head massage that would help damaged hair shine. Wouldn't they be surprised when I walked in! Sometimes being almost bald is fun. The massage might feel good, and my hair is so damaged, I'm sure the seventeen would be lost when shampooed.
.
Of course, that would eliminate the need for a hairdresser to trim my crown.
.
At my last RWA chapter meeting last month, I told the girls that due to my hair loss, I would be wearing a hat. All of us wore hats. We meet in a restaurant, and almost everyone that walked in looked at us and when we left, everyone did stare. It was very empowering. Who knew?
.
I'm old enough to be a Red Hat lady, but there aren't any in our small town. I now know how they feel when they enter an establishment to eat all decked out with their red hats. One lady wore a purple one, and it was really cute. The one lady in a red baseball cap didn't have the panache that the others had. Go Red Hats!
.
I asked my son today if I needed a hat to go out in public. (I was kidding with the question.) He is twenty-one, and very respectful, he told me to be comfortable with myself, if I felt I needed a hat to put one on. Don't you love it when your kid says something so wonderful!
.
And that's what I do. I have hats in my car, some nice ones, some baseball caps. I wear whatever I feel like wearing. And when my head gets hot, I take it off. (In the car, otherwise, I leave it on.)
.
With hair or no hair, I'm still the same person I used to be...except maybe more caring, more tolerant, more forgiving. Which is a good thing. Maybe that is what I'm supposed to be learning from this experience.
.
Life is still good.
.
.





Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger The Crazy Woman Inside Me said...

It's hard for a woman to lose her hair because of the "crowning glory" thing. I remember when my mother went through chemo & radiation and lost hers how difficult it was for her.

She tried fancy turbans and wrapped scarfs and she got a wig. All of them looked just fine. I told her she looked fine without any hair as well but she never went outside without covering her head.

I applaud & admire you for your stance, Donna. It takes courage, confidence and a special inner wisdom not to be governed by what everyone else might think.

Kudos to you, my friend! :-D

--Susan

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Robin Kaye said...

Donna~

You're beautiful inside and out, with or without a hat. And your son is right, do what feels right to you. He's a very wise young man. You must be so proud.

I love your blog. Thank you for letting us walk this path with you.

Robin Kaye

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous lyndune said...

Hello Donna

My name is Linda. I love your henna head. I had three Henna Crowns during my chemo treatments. You look beautiful!!! I felt very special having mine.
I would love to be able to communicate with you and talk about our expeiences with henna.
Let me know. lyndune@yahoo.com
Hugs and Blessings
Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.shinjoy.com/neopets