Friday, April 03, 2009

Round Four, I won again!

Monday was my last round of the first set of chemo drugs. My doctor stated that I was doing fine. My white blood cells are maintaining, neither going up or dropping down like they did in my first week. I'll take maintaining. It must be the extra iron that I'm taking that is helping.

I have this next week off, except for the weekly blood sample. But, they finally found a good vein, so that's where I'll direct all future needle punctures. One is so much better than three!

This week I've felt good, except for yesterday. But you have to have a bad day to replenish 'the well', so I did a lot of resting.

I'm still losing hair and rather discouraged that I will have to shave my legs before I wear shorts. What's with that! Wouldn't you think that if I were losing the hair on my head that the legs are fair game? I do. But it isn't happening.

My next chemo regimen begins a week from Monday, with a new course of treatment. Apparently, our bodies don't like chemo drugs and will build up to fight them, so the treatment is changed in order to get all the cancer cells. Only this time, instead of every other week, it will be weekly for twelve weeks.

On this last round, I did feel that bone-chilling cold during one of the medications, but it wasn't as bad as the second round of chemo. As you walk around the treatment room, most of the patients are bundled up. So, I'm not the only one who gets the chills.

The only bad thing, is that the cold chill stays with you. I can't seem to get warm enough.

But, there are sweaters that can be donned, or my favorite, a sweat shirt.

The dh is still very protective of me. Plus, he does sweet things like putting a white rose on my keyboard while I'm snoozing away. It must be love.

How lucky can one girl get...

It's all good.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger Anna Louise Lucia said...

Glad you're winning, Donna! And your DH sounds like a lovely man. :-) Figners crossed for the next round.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Maggie Toussaint said...

Hey Donna,

I didn't realize that leg hair stayed put. That does not seem fair at all. There are so many karmic injustices in this world.

Your husband sounds like a deeply caring individual. You are so blessed to have a companion during this time of trials.

Hugs!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Donna Caubarreaux said...

No, the leg hair definitely needs grooming, and I was so hoping.

The dh is a total Alpha male, once a Marine, always a Marine, but he has a soft side. He tries to hide it, but it shows.

The next go round of drugs are different, and I was told that I might lose more hair, so maybe the legs will work into that equation.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Judi Fennell said...

Donna, this is absolutely wonderful!!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Robin Kaye said...

Donna~

You're a winner and it sounds as if you married one too. Way to go!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger ricbelen said...

Donna, I'm glad that you are doing fine with the chemo. I just wanted to tell you that sometimes it also helps to meditate before each treatment. I have friends that used Louise Hay's techniques for healing meditations and managed to win their fight against cancer with a lot less discomfort and side-effects than other people. Hope this helps!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Donna Caubarreaux said...

Certain thoughts are prayers. There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
--Victor Hugo

It was synchronicity that I found this quote after your post on meditation.

I will check out the meditation, but sometimes it's almost impossible to have a quiet moment to meditate.

But I will check it out. Many thanks.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Donnell Ann Bell said...

Donna, I am so late, and so out of touch. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and like the others, I think your husband -- always have thought your husband, based on the stories you've shared with us -- is a real gem. Positive thinking, love and rest, you've already got the key ingredients to beating this thing. Congratulations on winning round IV!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.shinjoy.com/neopets