Monday, February 23, 2009

Where to Start...


A week ago Monday, I started chemo.
.
Friday, it looked as though my tongue died and should have been a specimen on 'Bones'. A special mouth wash managed to clear it up several days later.
.
Late Friday night, I had a nature call, and could barely make it back to my bed. I was so weak, dizzy and generally 'out of it'. It was all I could do to throw myself on the bed.
.
I took my temperature, which is usually low, and found that it was two degrees higher than my normal. That freaked me out, as if my temperature rose to 100.5, it would be time to check in at the emergency room with an order for direct admission and isolation. So, taking off my flannel pj pants, I put on shorts, turned on the fan in the bedroom, threw off the feather comforter and the quilt and slept with a sheet. It worked.
.
Saturday and Sunday, I was exceedlingly tired.
.
Early this morning, the dh and I went to the local physician and had blood samples taken. Mine were to be faxed to my oncologist. I went home and crashed on the bed. About an hour later a phone call. I was enemic, big time. The nurse had to get the okay for me to drive the thirty miles for a blood transfusion. Another fifteen minutes and the order was to come as soon as possible.
.
I got Kid #6 to get dressed. The dh already had plans for the day and wasn't home. So, #6 dropped me off at the Cancer Center, another needle to draw blood. The third of the day. The first one didn't work, as usual. They checked my blood type and iron, which took about a half an hour, then back to the treatment room, where the nurses proceeded to enter my mediport and give me two pints of blood. During the wait, I called Kid #5, and managed to cry over the phone when he told me he loved me. Kid #4 called right after that to see if I was okay. I remembered that Kid #1 worked a few minutes away and made arrangements for her to bring me home later.
.
A very sweet pink lady, who had on a lovely coral top, got me lunch, so I ate, then fought with my restless leg syndrome leg, as I intook color into my face. Apparently, I was so white that it was scary. Since I'm very pale, unless my freckles are out, needing two pints of blood drained me of all color.
.
Four and a half hours later, I was almost normal. Kid #1 picked me up, and drove me home.
.
I need to go back Thursday for another blood sample.
.
This means that my entire diet must change. No fresh fruit or vegetables, everything I eat must be cooked, peeled or skinned. There are more dietary rules which I'll get into tomorrow. If I have the strength. Right now, I'm feeling okay. That's what some new blood will do for you!
.
So, thanks to you who do give blood. I appreciate it.
.
.

3 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna,
I'm keeping up with your blog and praying for you as I read. As a writer, you paint amazing pictures of what you're going through. Know there are those in Baton Rouge thinking of you.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna,
Ditto what Nancy said. I've been following along and sending up a quick prayer with each new entry. I hope the extra energy from the blood transfusion hangs on until your body can recoup its forces. I'm in Brazil, and it's amazing to see all those little dots on your cluster map. You are one well-loved lady.
Tina Joyce Butts

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to donate all the time, and I think I'd donated about 35 pints. Right around the time I had my kiddo, I stopped. It's time for me to start again.
Thanks for giving me a needed nudge.
Margaret

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.shinjoy.com/neopets