Monday, January 26, 2009

Waking Up to Sunshine

What is that title about? I'm not quite sure. It just came to me, so I used it.

I finally decided to 'come out' about my cancer through my signature line.

I've told a few groups and online friends, but didn't come all out until today.

And why should I?

This cancer thing is scary. I wasn't scared before, then the words 50/50 came out at the last oncologist appointment, and it took several days to settle in.

50/50

And ONE out of EIGHT women will develop breast cancer. So, if you don't have it now, you might in the future. Here's some good advice, get your breast exam current, and go back in a year and do it again and each year after that.

I was suprised at this second surgery. The first one, which I 'thought' was going to be a needle biopsy, was instead a full removal of the cancer, wasn't even painful enough for me to fill out the prescription. My surgeon raised his eyebrows when I told him I threw that prescription away.

Sure wish I would have filled it and kept them for later.

This second surgery, going in and redoing the first site to make sure and with the node removal, has given me great empathy for those people who are stabbed. (I know that this will happen in one of my books in the future.) I still have pain and need to work that arm to regain function.

While in the reception area of the cancer center, my daughter handed me a catalogue, and apparently, if you have your nodes removed, say on your right arm, you shouldn't have your blood/pressure or any needles on that arm. And I just gave a big blood sample out of, you guessed it, my right arm.

Which comes down to this, if one in eight women develop breast cancer, maybe, just maybe, you can gather some knowledge about the disease from this blog.

You are not alone.

You are one out of eight.

1 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, you have my thoughts and prayers for a complete and speedy recovery. Stay strong and brave.

Hugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.shinjoy.com/neopets