Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Fat Tuesday - Some gals have all the fun!



These are some brave girls!

But Mardi Gras in Louisiana is always fun. Some towns, like Lafayette, usually have three parades on this day. The Kids, the Queen, and the King parades. Smaller towns have just one parade.

You hear kids and adults shout at the floats, "Throw me something!"

People throw anything from beads, plastic cups, small stuffed animals, candy, and even miniature Moon Pies. One year I threw out five thousand! My arm was sore for three days. It was so much fun. But not when it's raining. My feet were in four inches of water as the float didn't have holes in the floor to drain out.

It's a custom that has spread across Louisiana, even north Louisiana. Believe it or not, it's like two different states. The southern part is definitely French speaking, and just north of the middle of the state are the rednecks. (Sorry if it offends.) My daughter married one, and since he has that 'twang' when he speaks, sometimes I don't understand what he is saying, and that's just ten miles north of us.

I thought my grandkids would be safe from the 'twang' until I had to pick up my granddaughter at school when she was in the first grade. As I walked to her classroom, I could hear..."One, Two, But-ton My Shoe" all in the 'twang'--I knew she was doomed then. And yes, I wasn't wrong.

LOL

So have a happy one! We all deserve to have fun in life.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O...m....g..... Donna LOL....They sure do know how to have fun!


Donnell

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Edie Ramer said...

Love the pic, Donna! It's great that Fat Friday is still going on.

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.M.G!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.shinjoy.com/neopets