Monday, March 16, 2009

Round Three of Chemo - I Won This One!

I had my third session of chemo today, and didn't feel that bone chilling coldness that crept over me the last time. Thank heavens, that was an eerie feeling.
.
Once I came home, it was three in the afternoon, and I crashed until seven. But, I didn't sleep well last night and it might have added to the need for sleep.
.
Also found out that since my diagnosis of having a Prepyloric Ulcer, I will need to go on a different chemo regimen, my second course of chemo, which was to last for four bi-weekly sessions, has now changed to every week for twelve weeks. So, that's an extra four weeks.
.
There are finally two patients younger than me getting chemo. I don't know what kind of cancer they have, but so far, most of the patients are much older than I am.
.
The Sisters In Action, supported breast cancer in the lobby with pink lemonade and cupcakes. Which I thought was nice.
.
My hair is slowly coming out. No one stares at me with horror, so I'm good to go. I've had thin hair for years and jokingly told people that I had three hairs on my head. That prediction might come true. LOL
.
But, I feel good. So life is great. The dh is wonderful during this time. We've spent a lot of time talking on the long drive back and forth, and the occasional lunch out after chemo. We're trying out different restaurants. We chose Chili's today, and at one in the afternoon, they had a thirty minute wait. So we went to IHOP. I love breakfast so that was my choice, and he ordered a sandwich that was enormous. He wasn't expecting that. The waitress even brought him a diet drink 'to go' when she brought the check. He didn't expect that either and remarked that it was a first.
.
Picture of the white iris's, when I was administrator at Valley View Health Care Facility, a resident by the name of John Dauzat came into my office with a plastic bag. His hands shook so the plants sticking outside the bag were waving in the breeze. He brought them to my desk and said that he took them out of his garden, especially for me.
.
John was a delightful man. Short, slim, he had a fantastic sense of humor. For Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras to the rest of the world, he wore an old-fashioned straw hat (one like Fred Astaire would wear) with a flower sticking up a foot in the air. It would whip back and forth as he walked up the hall. He had a gentle smile, and though he has been gone for years, I still remember him every spring.
.
He brought me native Louisiana white iris plants. I planted them in one section by a pecan tree. Today, they surround the tree, as though they are playing merry-go-round. Their white blooms, while not as beautiful as their colorful cousins, have a virginal quality. When I see them, I always get a picture of John Dauzat in my mind, and a smile on my face. As long as I live, he will always be remembered.
.
What more can anyone ask for, but to be remembered.
.
.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna:
I'm truly amazed at your positive attitude. That probably is the hardest part. Keep going girl we love you.
All the best,
Ruby Johnson

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna,
In the writer's world I've always known you as a generous soul, looking out for others. I'll add inspirational now too. Keep that amazing attitude.
Hugs,
Jenna Stuart

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger The Paperback Diva said...

I'm just finding out about the cancer. I'm sending good vibes out to you. You've helped me as a writer so much in the past. I've always admired your dedication and generosity and now you're showing those same qualities. Go, girl!

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are amazing and an inspiration to me! I always knew you were someone special. You don't need hair to be beautiful. The beauty is in your soul and shines through.

Joanna Wayne

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Libby Scrivener said...

Hi Donna,

Your posts make me laugh, they make me cry. I think of you often. Take care, and keep your chin up.

Elizabeth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.shinjoy.com/neopets